Friday, May 3, 2013

Bumpers

I've been getting some grief because I haven't posted in a while.  In my last post I left you all kind of hanging because Evelyn hadn't pooped.  Well, the next day was uneventful.  In fact, as far as poop goes, I'm going to hate myself tomorrow for saying this, everything's been pretty normal.  We have been dealing with our first case of some serious diaper rash.  Tomorrow the plan is to let her air out a bit, so that has the potential to be a good story.

We continue to work on sleeping through the night, and a new accomplishment has made that somewhat difficult.  I think I mentioned that Evelyn figured out how to roll from her back to her belly last week, which was totally exciting for all of us.  I made her show Daddy.  I made her show Aunt Kelly.  I made her show Nanny and Grampy.  It was all fun and games until it became clear that she is nowhere near figuring out how to then roll from belly to back.  And she hates being on her belly for more than a few minutes at a time.  It was fine for a few days because she could only manage to roll when she was on a harder surface.  But then the morning came when I went in to get her and she was lying on her stomach.

This was totally fine with me.  Everything I've read says that as soon as they can roll, it is safe for a baby to sleep on the stomach.  Awesome, except that you are absolutely not permitted to put anything in a crib besides a baby.  I'm surprised they still sell mattresses for crying out loud.  Don't get me started on the nurse who made me feel like the world's worst mother when I said I used a blanket to swaddle.  No blankets, no animals, no BUMPERS.  Bumpers, which would prevent my baby's arm from going through the crib railings when she rolls over now.  Once the arm goes through the railings, there it stays.  And so my baby screams.  So now whenever she starts crying in the middle of the night, I can't just let her cry it out while cringing in my own bed.  I have to get out of bed and go make sure she's not about to snap her arm and roll her back over.  And when I get back in bed, all I can hear are those darn birds that are still chirping right outside my window.  

This weekend, we are getting bumpers.

No comments:

Post a Comment