Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Last Week

So it's been a while.  I knew it was time for a post when even Steve commented that it has been over a week.  It isn't that nothing has happened, it's just I've been preoccupied.  I did something a little crazy.  I picked up...a book!  Not a magazine, not a child development book, an actual novel.  And I couldn't put it down.  Any time not parenting, cooking, sleeping, has been spent reading.  Both Kelly and Steve commented on my voracious reading.  Blogging just kind of got in the way of reading.  The good news is, I finished the book today during naptime.  I can resume my computer activities.

I'm going to summarize some of the highlights of the past week for you all:

1. Steve doesn't want me to share this one because it makes us seem dirty.  I assure you, we are not.  My husband is very diligent about keeping a clean house.  The problem, as I referenced in a past post about burp cloths, is that our daughter spits up all over the place, and it's virtually impossible to find all of the spots on the rug, toys, and blankets that she spews on.  Which lead to an issue last week.

I fed Evelyn and then plopped her down on her play mat so I could grab my yogurt.  I reached for her piano toy and found a swarm of ants all over the rug and toy.  I panicked.  Where should I put the ant covered toy?  Where should I put her so I could clean the ants?  She can't be on the floor, I can't put her on the couch, she'll scream in her crib.  What do I do?  How do you get rid of a ton of ants?  I finally placed her in her walker thing.  I decided to use wet paper towels to clean up the floor and went to the kitchen.  Evelyn promptly started screaming.  I ran back out to find her leg had not gone through the leg hole and was wedged under her.  I tried to pick her up, but she was totally stuck.  I just succeeded in lifting the walker along with her.  I finally managed to dislodge her leg and place her more carefully in the walker.  I took care of the ants, decided there was no way to clean the piano, and threw it out.  Amazingly, I must have done something right because the ants are gone.

2. I went out to Lancaster with some family, and managed to slam into a curb and explode my tire.  AAA came and put on the spare for me, but naturally it was pretty flat and the guy recommended getting a new tire before driving back home.  We found a shop right across the street actually and took the car over there.  But they had to have a tire delivered, so it was going to take a while.  No problem, except it was rainy and about 50 degrees and I hadn't really dressed myself or Evelyn for the weather, and now we were stuck walking around in it.  Normally a busted tire isn't much cause for concern, but when you are carting around a 5 month old, anything that should be relatively simple becomes an ordeal.  There's not a whole lot more to this story, it seemed more blog-worthy in my head.  The tire got fixed, Evelyn was a champ, and we got home safely.

3. Steve perfected diaper changing Evelyn when she is on her tummy.  We had an up the back explosion that made an absolute mess from waist to neck and he decided the best way to minimize the mess was to lay her on her tummy so that we could remove her shirt without smearing the mess all over her and in an effort to save the changing pad cover.  It worked like a charm.  Why we didn't think of this months ago, I'll never know.


4. We discovered that the key to a baby who sleeps
through the night is utter exhaustion.  Although it could be that we finally introduced rice cereal.  She even fell asleep in the tub, but I get nervous about posting pictures of her in the tub.





5.  And the most important event of all this past week is that Evelyn met her Great-Grammy Dulik and her Aunt Karyn!

No comments:

Post a Comment