Saturday, May 11, 2013

Number 1

I finally remembered what 1. was supposed to be on my Top 10 Ways You Know You're a New Mom.  I do think it was fitting though that I couldn't remember it to begin with.  These days I couldn't even begin to tell you all the things I forget...obviously.

I've always been a list maker, mostly at work.  And my lists are not necessarily for the purpose of remembering the things I need to do.  There is a sense of satisfaction in crossing things off of a list.  Usually I start my lists with a few things I have already finished, just so that I can begin my tasks by feeling like I've already accomplished something.

My lists as of late have been a weekly to do list.  I start Monday with a list of tasks I want to try to accomplish by Friday.  I like to get everything done by Friday so that we can have the weekend as a family to do whatever we want to do, that and I feel slightly guilty for being home all week and then there still be chores to do over the weekend.  It always amazes me exactly how much of the list is still not crossed of on Friday morning.  It amazes me even more how much of it can be finished Friday morning.

This post has become me rambling.  That could also be number 1 on my Top 10 list.  I take a really long time to get to my point these days.  Here goes, finally:

You know you're a new mom when you're planning your child's first birthday before they are even 5 months old.  I decided a while ago I wanted to get her a Cabbage Patch doll for her first birthday.  Countless people have told me she looks just like a Cabbage Patch and I thought it would be fitting for her to have her very own.  My parents both seem to think that she could just have my old one that is sitting up in my mom's sewing room.  Not the same.

I went to multiple stores looking for the perfect one.  I even went on the website to check them out there.  I found the one I wanted, but when you order from the website you have to name the doll and pick the birthday yourself.  One of the best parts of Cabbage Patch dolls are their delightfully mismatched names.  Mine is named Gail Wilda.  Wilda.  You can't make that up.  Meet Helena Bridgette:



She is currently also living in the sewing room for the next seven months.

I think the reason I am so excited for Evelyn's first birthday is less about giving her presents, and more about a big old party.  And I don't really mean a party necessarily for her.  I see it as a party for me and Steve.  A celebration of the fact that we made it through a year of parenthood.  If anything deserves a party, it's that.  And when you have a big party, you really need to make lots of lists.  I already know one thing I can cross off.

No comments:

Post a Comment