Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Things I will never understand...

I know I've mentioned it, but one of the greatest parts of this blog is how many times I hear from people that they are reading it.  I love that people find it interesting.  I also love the little stories people tell me that relate to what I write about.  It's great when you all add to the top 10 lists.  That in mind, I really hope some of you have stories to add to this post.

Here are some things I will never, ever understand about my baby.  I won't make it to 10, so I hope some of you comment and help me fill in the rest.

1. My child can sleep through a crazy-wild thunderstorm, the industrial lawn mowers outside, even the removal of a tree right outside her window.  The minute I get into the shower, though, or bend over to pick something up and my knee cracks, she's up and ready to go.

2. Whenever we are in the car and she's screaming, every single light turns red.  On the rare ocassion I'm in the car alone, on a beautiful day, and I am driving with the windows down and the music blaring, and the wind blowing my hair in my face, not one single light turns red to allow me to put it up in a ponytail.

3. I don't get why the minute I finally decide it's safe to post about Evelyn sleeping through the night, she decides to go on a 3 night sleeping strike.  Ok, I kind of get that one.

4. I've been trying for a week to try to get Evelyn to wave her fingers at me when I do it to her with no luck. The minute someone gets her to blow a raspberry immediately following a drink of water, it's all she wants to do.  She can remember that, but not how to wave her fingers.  I guess I get this one too, who wouldn't want to spray their mommy with water and peas.

5. I iron my baby's clothes.  Obviously not all of them, but the ones with collars and some of the dresses.  In the meantime, I let my clothes sit in the dryer for days getting all wrinkly and just throw them on without even blinking at my state of disarray.  It isn't like people aren't going to think my kid is adorable, even in a wrinkled outfit.  Me on the other hand, it definitely takes a little more work.

6. Why are people still asking me if it's a boy or girl?  She wears pink and ruffles and dresses and bows, and everything has flowers and butterflies for crying out loud.  The worst is when they try to defend themselves and talk about how they just have to ask because you just never know these days.  No you just don't have to ask.  Use your brain!  I don't know any mother who dresses her son like this:


Except for maybe those parents up in Canada a few years ago who were trying to raise a gender-neutral kid.  And they would probably be happy if you called their son a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment