Sunday, July 7, 2013

Vacation!

It's been for-EV-ver!  We went on our first big trip last week.  Some of you may recall how I prepared for our first road trip.  Instead of spending the evening before preparing, I spent a whole week preparing and packing to go away to Maine.  I made serious lists: things to pack, things to remember to do, things to buy, things to get at my parents', things to find, etc.  I do have to give myself a pat on the back because we had every single thing we needed...for Evelyn.  And to be honest, the only thing I forgot for myself was my rain coat.  It wasn't on a list.

We made it out of the house right on schedule, 6:15, and everything was going great.  Evelyn didn't fall asleep right away, but it was fine because she was happy kicking her carseat and blowing raspberries at herself in the mirror.  She eventually took a snooze and we made it to New York, no sweat.  We stopped for breakfast at good, ol' McDonald's.  I started feeding baby, and Steve got in line to order.  I was suddenly distracted by a commotion by the registers.  I looked over and saw that Steve was about to have to break up a fight between a couple of eighty year old punks.  Mac apparently cut in line, which really angered the other man waiting, who expressed his anger by calling Mac an "old bastard."  Well, that really set Mac off.  Mac started wagging his finger in the other guy's face, and then suddenly it was over.  And that, my friends, was the highlight of our trip.  Everything went downhill from there.

Rain and traffic caused us to crawl through Connecticut.  But the real problem that we had to deal with was constipation.  As of the morning we left, Evelyn had not pooped in 2 days.  I switched her cereal to something with more fiber, but it wasn't helping  When we finally stopped again she had been grunting and groaning for about 20 minutes, but there was nothing in the diap.  We got out, ate again, and got back in the car to let her crawl around for a bit.  She started grunting and groaning again, and making faces like these:


The next thing I knew, there was a ball of poop almost as big as a tennis ball in her diaper.  You could see it protruding through her diaper.  The oatmeal was finally working!  We got her changed, and she started jumping and smiling again for a few minutes.  And then the grunting, groaning, and faces started again.  Suddenly, I could feel another massive poop through the diaper.  Changing her was going to be a little trickier this time.  It was pouring out again, and laying her on the seat was not going to be possible without one of us getting soaked.  So, I placed her, poopy diaper and all, on my lap and Steve changed her.  Why I don't think to take pictures of these things, I will never know.  

I did remember to take a picture of me pumping in the car though.  Unfortunately, my hooter hider is now gone.  I think it must have fallen out of the car at some point while I was climbing in or out.  

So, exactly twelve hours after we hit the road, we finally arrived at Grammy's house.  We had a great week! Some of the highlights of our week include
Meeting some Lane cousins!
Meeting some Footer cousins!
A Sea Dogs baseball game!
Five Islands
Feeling the Atlantic Ocean for the first time!

Playing with Daddy at the lake!
Not liking the 4th of July parade.
Our drive up to Maine started with poop, so it is only fitting that we dealt with poop on our way home as well.  We had another poop-less day or two before driving home yesterday.  As soon as we got home and out of the car, the grunting started again and she managed a little one.  Before putting her in the tub, I always stand her on the counter in the bathroom to make faces in the mirror.  The faces I got last night, were more poop faces.  The next thing I knew, there it was coming out of her little hiney.  Steve ran in with a diaper and caught it just in time as it fell out of her tush.  A smarter person would have held her over the toilet, but it's hard to think of these things in the moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment