Monday, April 22, 2013

Mt. Evelyn, cont.

Last week I told you all about my daughter's volcanic eruption.  I ended that post with a little teaser that we learned a little trick to help her poop on a more regular basis and apparently some of you are really reading closely because I was asked today to reveal the trick!  Let's pick up where we left off...

After her major explosion, Evelyn got into a nice pattern of not pooping for 4-5 days and then having a major blowout.  If you've seen those diaper commercials where the babies are competing to see which one can fill their diaper the most, my kid would have won hands down.  Only it never stayed in the diaper.  And she always exploded when she was in her swing or in the bouncy seat, requiring me to wash everything.  This continued for a few weeks.

One evening we got her nice, warm tub ready as usual.  Steve slid her in the tub and started bathing her.  The warm water must have totally relaxed her because she started tooting in the tub, which we thought was hilarious.  We watched the bubbles coming out of her cute little tush and just laughed and laughed.  Until suddenly they weren't bubbles anymore.  Mt. Evelyn was now an under water volcano.  For a moment disbelief set in.  When we came to our senses we started yelling in complete confusion about what to do next, and I finally managed to grab her out of the water.

Now we just had to figure out what to do with the poopy tub water.  If you know my husband at all, you know that messes kind of throw him off.  He likes things clean and neat, and poop in a tub just really set him into panic mode.  Kelly and I tried to get him to just pour it down the drain because it's so liquidy anyway, but the thought of the mess that would make made that not an option.  In desperation he opened the sliding door, grabbed the tub, and poured the contents over the balcony (I really hope my neighbors never find this blog!), Kelly and I yelling the whole time.

Once the tub was empty, he then washed it out with a wipe and refilled it with more nice, warm water.  Not 30 seconds into the second bath of the evening, more poop.  At that point we scooped her up out of the tub, rinsed her off in the sink and called it a night as far as the tub was concerned.  I placed my very happy baby in Steve's arms and put him in charge of getting her dressed and insisted that I would take care of the poopy water, which I poured down the drain.  We laughed it off later.

Flash forward to the next evening.  We get the tub ready, fill it with nice, warm water, place her in, poop.  Flash forward another day.  We get the tub ready, fill it with nice warm water, place her in, poop.  This happened literally (and I do mean literally) 5 days in a row.  I can't lie, we even took pictures just to prove to people it was happening.  I promised a friend that even though I was going to talk a lot about poop that I wouldn't ever post any poop pictures.  We were at the point where we were trying to figure out a way to "punish" her for making such a mess.  How on earth do you punish a 1 month old?  Our only solution was to stop giving her baths and go back to sponging her off, which she hated.  Luckily it never came to that because on the 6th night, she must have been totally empty at that point because the pooping in the tub stopped for a while.

Steve and I had different opinions on the pooping in the tub whenever it happened again.  He was totally against it and thought it was disgusting and grabbed her out the minute it started.  My opinion was that if it helps her poop a little more regularly, and it saves me from having to wash her clothes and the swing every time she poops, why not leave her in there just until she's finished?  Steve has won that battle every time.

Evelyn in her first tubby.

Evelyn a few weeks ago...good grief she's gotten big!

No comments:

Post a Comment