Friday, April 12, 2013

Adventures in Blogging


I want to be a professional blogger.  Admitting this is probably about the worst possible way to go about making this happen, but, whatever.  I wish I had thought of this years ago.  I can picture it now…

Teacher: Betsy, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Me: I want to write a blog professionally.
Teacher: What is a blog?
Me: It’s like an online journal where you record your thoughts for other people to read.  All I have to do is wait for Al Gore to invent the internet, and then I’ll invent blogging. 
Teacher: You’re crazy kid.

That last part would have been in the teacher’s head.  We teachers never say that out loud, even though we think it at least once a day. 

But in all honesty, I want to be a blogger.  Here’s why:
  1.         I have two of the best jobs ever for blogging: parenting and teaching.  People just don’t realize how unbelievable both are.  We don’t make up the stories we tell you, we don’t even sensationalize them.  We don’t have to because the truth is much more fun.
  2.         I write good well.  To be honest, I have been writing potential posts for about a week now.  I have read and reread and fine-tuned this first post at least once a day since I started it last week.  This could become time consuming… 
  3.         I have always wanted to be a writer.  I imagined writing a series of children’s books about a magical world with witches and wizards and a dark lord trying to take over, and then JK Rowling happened and I’m back to the drawing board.  In all honesty, I have wanted to write a children’s book, I just have struggled to come up with good ideas.  That’s why I’m excited to blog.  As I said, you just can’t make up some of the stuff I plan to blog about.
  4.         I’m funny.  At least in my own head.  (That imaginary conversation with my teacher sounded way better in my head than it does written out.  I apologize). 
  5.        Maybe some of the mistakes I make as a parent will help others.  I know I’ve learned a lot in the past few months by just talking to other moms.  Sometimes I turn to the veterans, like my parents and in-laws, but many days it’s the new moms I know who are dealing with the same things I am who have a different take on how to make this thing called parenthood work.  That being said, please don’t take anything I say/do as advice!  If anything, it’s more of a what not to do!
  6.     Plus, and this is probably the most important reason, I think it will be a good way to remember all of these little events in Evelyn’s life.  If I wasn’t keeping a list, I probably would have forgotten it all by now, and she’s only four months old (this weekend!).  I can only imagine what a year, then five, then ten will bring.  Hopefully she won’t be petrified by some of the details I am prepared to share.    

So there you have it.  I hope you check back once in a while.  And I hope one of you has connections to someone in the professional blogging world and passes my info along!  J

No comments:

Post a Comment