Saturday, February 1, 2014

One Last Post that Mentions Feet

So this will hopefully be the very last post that mentions feet for quite some time, and I promise it won't be all about feet.  Just one little blurb kind of in the middle.  It's going to mostly be about vomit.

Steve and I have been pretty lucky so far in regard to Evelyn's health (I am currently knocking on everything wooden within arm's reach).  We have had two cases of sickness, one back in October and the other about two weeks ago at this point.  The thing about Evelyn getting sick is that it doesn't seem to just be that she gets sick and then starts to get better.  There are always multiple components to her illnesses and it just gets worse and worse.  In fact I wanted to write this blog during her illness, but every time I thought it was safe to write, the next layer of sickness would begin.

The first week brought us a cough that just got progressively worse.  By Saturday she had a pretty bad diaper rash, similar to when she had a yeast infection.  We went to the doctor, where we were lucky to see our favorite pediatrician.  Diagnosis: mild croup and a yeast infection.  Not much to do for the croup other than lots of liquids and steam to help break up the gunk.

I took the opportunity to ask about her turned in feet.  She basically told us everything we had read/heard.  The turned in feet results from the way babies are positioned in the uterus.  It has to do with the muscles on the inside and outside of the feel being used to being in that position.  In general the feet straightened themselves back out 6-12 months after beginning to walk.  She checked that they can be pulled straight, and said that indicates no bones out of place.  She finished with the comment I have heard from more doctors lately..."I'm sure everything is fine, but we will keep a close eye on it in future appointments."

Saturday evening continued with her fever going up slightly, and Mommy headed out for a night out with friends!  Poor Daddy dealt with a sick baby, who just didn't want to fall asleep.  When I got home I received the ultimate baptism into Mommyhood.  Projectile vomit.  When the vomit starts you would think like a normal person you would make a run for the bathroom, the sink, at least the hallway where there is hardwood floors that are much easier to clean up.  All I could manage was to cup my hands in front of her mouth and yell for Steve to come figure things out.  He managed to carry her into the bathroom, while I tried to contain the vomit to my hands and pj's and avoid the rug and vomiting myself.

Got baby girl cleaned up, calmed down, and back to bed.

By Sunday we thought everything was good.  The rash was clearing up, she was still pretty congested, but seemed to be ok, although not eating much.  I decided to try to get her out of the house a little and we went over to my parents'.  Evelyn saw an avocado on the counter and was reaching for it and whining, so I thought maybe her appetite was coming back and cut it up for her.  She scarfed some down, and finally took a little nap on me.  She woke up from the nap coughing, and proceeded to throw up the avocado.  Once again, I just totally panicked.  There was just nothing I could do other than cup my hands and hope I caught everything I could.  This time my dad saved the day by grabbing a towel and helping me catch.  Once we cleaned her up and calmed her down, she was pretty happy.  She ate a little dinner, and we headed home.  The minute we got her out of the car she started vomiting again, only this time neither of us were in a position to catch anything, and I ended up covered from head to foot.

On Tuesday it took me an hour to try to get her to go down for a nap.  I finally just decided to let her cry it out.  As soon as I got downstairs the crying turned to the tell tale coughing that signaled puke was on the way.  I naturally didn't make it in time, and opened the door to a baby and a crib both covered.  Poor, poor baby wouldn't let us put her down for the rest of the day.  She dozed on Mommy, she napped with Daddy, but she would NOT sleep in her crib.  She was lethargic, pale, and warm.  If it hadn't been for the snow storm outside, I would have been very close to making a trip to the ER.  I finally got some PediaLite in her and she made a turn around.

It was a slow recovery from Tuesday, but we seem to have made a full recovery at this point.  We're just back to sleep training because we did some serious coddling while she was sick and our child suddenly thinks it's okay to wake up at 4:30 in the morning for a cup of milk.  It's really, really not.

No comments:

Post a Comment