Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Hunger Games

Evelyn and I take a walk almost everyday.  I have a lot of time to think and observe while we are on our walks.  One thing I've observed is that there a lot of elderly gentlemen in our neighborhood!  Many of them are outside walking while we walk.  And I'll tell you what, elderly gentlemen LOVE babies.  They smile at her, laugh at her, and talk to her.  She soaks it up and hams at them.  It's adorable.

We met a nice man yesterday who was pruning a tree that was planted 21 years ago in honor of his wife, Barbara.  He assured me that Evelyn is just the luckiest little girl because she is growing up in a time where she will live to be 115 years old and be perfectly healthy.  It was really one of the sweetest things I've ever experienced.

The other thing about our walks that I've noticed is that I kind of feel like Katniss from The Hunger Games every time we go.  It all started with the birds.  I swear they are talking to each other and repeating each others' songs.  If I could whistle, I would make up my own little song to see if they start copying me.

There is also this band of hooligans screaming around the neighborhood, who chase us on their bikes.  Today they were even carrying weapons.  Ok, they were just Nerf guns, but still.  I've even seen them turn on each other when things start to get tough.

I scavenge for berries.  Well, once I did.  Because they were raspberries and they were delicious.

Last, but not least, I have my very own Little Rue...




No comments:

Post a Comment