Saturday, January 4, 2014

2014

I've been experiencing writer's block.  I have sat down to write a few times with ideas in my head but nothing ends up coming out.  I've also been contemplating switching my blog over to a different website, so I've kind of been holding off on posting so I have less to transfer if I make the move.  I was so focused on the computer last night Steve even asked me if I was posting.  (I was working on Evelyn's first year photobook.)

I think the reason I have been struggling to post is because for some reason I feel like I need to post about the new year and how it relates to being a parent and post all of my great resolutions for how to be a better parent, blah, blah, blah.  There is no real reason for me to think this way other than it popped in my head and now won't leave.

Here's what I have to say about New Year's Resolutions...I think they are dumb.  Total personal opinion.  I 100% support anyone who makes a resolution, if there is a way I can help you, I will.  I just feel like the whole resolution thing just makes me realize all of the things I am supposed to be doing anyway to be a better person.  I get overwhelmed trying to decide what to focus on and I undoubtedly get mad at myself when I fail to keep my resolution 2 weeks into the new year.  Perhaps I just don't have the will power needed to succeed when it comes to a resolution.

I have come to a decision, though, in light of the beginning of 2014.  2013 was really the year of Evelyn.  I was (am still) learning how to be a parent, then I was (am still) learning how to be a parent who works.  It was a great year being her mom.  But something dawned on me the other day as I was whining to my mom and sister about how I didn't want to buy anything at the fabric store because I don't have time for sewing.  I have entered the stage of parenting where I need to put my needs on the same level as her needs.  I think every new parents go through this, but I am starting to realize that the only thing really getting in my way these days is me.  There is time in every day that I can spend on myself, I just have to manage that time better and know what I want to do with it.  I took out a sewing project yesterday and felt very accomplished.  I read every day over Christmas break, and it felt great.  I am going to get back into a workout schedule (having nothing to do with the new year...I just want to start working out again because I feel better when I do!).  I can still do that, and get done all of things I need to do, too, if I just remove the things I am doing that are unnecessary.  Like checking Facebook every 5 minutes.  It hasn't changed...and if it has, it will still be there later.

So I guess I just made a New Year's Resolution (ugh!).  I'm going to make 2014 the year of me, and to do that I need to become a better time manager.  And it's going to make me a better mom down the road.  And I guess I just accomplished what I thought I needed to do in my first post of 2014.  I wrote about New Year's resolutions, and how making one will make me a better parent in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment